What do the best hunting boots look like? For some, boots and footwear may not carry much value, but to be content in the field and get the maximum out of a day’s hunting expedition, you need to match your footwear to your body and not just your feet.
Hunting is a passionate sport and needs proper gear, especially boots. You will be surprised by the difference that a good boot with all the right characteristics can make.
Best Hunting Boots 2017
[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]So, what should you look for in a hunting boot? It can be confusing at first, because many boots look quite the same. Here we describe the key things that you should look for in the best hunting boots, along with some of the best picks for this year’s hunting session![/su_note]
|Irish Setter Men's 2870 Vaprtrek Waterproof 8" Hunting Boot||8 inch||2 lbs. 6 oz.||No||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0N4NJM/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Lacrosse Men's Alpha Burly Pro 18" Hunting Boot||18 inch||4.8 lbs.||No||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B28UEE6/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Rocky Men's 8" Retraction 800G Hunting Boot||8 Inch||Not Available||800g 3M Thinsulate||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZZ69LCC/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Danner Men's Pronghorn 8" Uninsulated Hunting Boot||8 inch||Not Available||No||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQ3G3WM/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Irish Setter Men's 2875 Vaprtrek Waterproof 17" hunting boot||17 inch||3 lbs. 10 oz.||No||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7LZNLQ/?tag=tracks51-20|
" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]
|Irish Setter Men's 2874 Vaprtrek 8" hunting boot||8 inch||2 lbs. 9 oz.||400g PrimaLoft Gold Eco||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVDDAXW/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Irish Setter Men's 2873 Vaprtrek 400 gram 8" hunting boot||8 inch||2 lbs. 9 oz.||400g PrimaLoft Gold Eco||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVDCXAS/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Lacrosse Men's Aero head 18" 3.5 mm Hunting Boot||18 inch||5.1 lbs.||3.5 mm Neopreme||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008X3PXMQ/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Under Armor Men's UA Brow Tine Hunting Boots||7.63 inch||1 lb. 9.9 oz.||800g Primaloft||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZ7647I/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
|Danner Men's Pronghorn 8" 400g Hunting Boot||8 inch||Not Available||400G Thinsulate Ultra||Yes||[su_button url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQ3H2ZO/?tag=tracks51-20" style="flat" background="#ff8a2b" size="5" center="yes" radius="round"]Price[/su_button]|
Irish Setter Men’s 2870 Vaprtrek Waterproof 8″ Hunting Boot– Ultimate Stalker
This boot is designed for those on a hike or those who are intent on stalking their game. They have a lightweight built and a sole that resembles an athletic show, allowing the hunter to really feel the terrain. This feature makes the Irish setter Vaprtrek 8″ stand out from the rest.
The boot is incorporated with Ultra dry waterproofing system to minimize water entry. The boot has a rubber sole, which accounts for its comfortable, sneaker like feel. Also, the RPM composite technology makes the boot much lighter without affecting the durability or comfort of the boot. In addition to all of this, the boot is also infused with Scent Ban scent control to minimize odors after a long day in the field.
However, you need to pay attention to the sole of this boot. The soles are glued to the boot instead of being stitched which leads to a tendency to become unstuck after some time.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are light weighted, offer waterproofing and have an athletic feel. They also come with a notable insulation property which offers protection at extreme weathers. We recommend this boot for hunters that revel in the chase as the lightweight, strong built and comforting arches make it an ideal pair for this purpose.[/su_note]
- Lighter, the Vaprtrek boots are 40% lighter than other comparable hunting boots, thanks to its RPM composite technology.
- Balance, the rubber sole, and arches provide an athletic like feel that improves balance, mobility and traction.
- Scent Ban, for minimizing bad odors and preventing any foul smells from escaping the boots.
- Soles can tear due to lack of stitching
- Size imperfections, the true size of the boot is smaller. You would do well to order a size larger than you average shoe size for the best fit.
Lacrosse Men’s Alpha Burly Pro 18″ Hunting Boot– Waterproofing Expert
One of our top picks for the best hunting boots is the Lacrosse Men’s Alpha burly, which comes with a premium hand laid rubber to ensure precise fitting. The waterproofing of this boot is maximized with the natural neoprene core that also cushions around the front and calf area. The boot is reinforced with additional layers where needed.
The boots were designed keeping comfort in mind with a shank included in the design to add an under arch support for stability. The foot bed is also designed to reinforce comfort and support and ensure a customized fit. The entire boot is designed with premium materials to maximize durability. However, the boots are still on the lighter side, making them the most versatile hunting boots in the market.
Where the boots are ideal for a variety of conditions, you do need to cautious when wearing them in very cold winters. This is because of the insulation property of this boot, although sufficient for the warmer time, offers little protection in the chill winds.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are great for almost every kind of hunting. They are light but not too light offering some feel in the foot. They are also waterproof and the 18inch length above the arch offers a great deal of protection in the field. The boots are easy to put on and off and thanks to the arch support and the padding, are extremely comfortable to wear.[/su_note]
- Neoprene lining that works as an insulator and as a means to keep your legs and feet cool during wear.
- Adjustable gusset on the back which helps adjust the boot to your calf size for comfortable wear.
- Foldable boots, to allow alteration of the size when the weather or conditions allow it.
- Inadequate insulation for extreme cold, the boots are not designed for wear in cold winters.
- Wide make, the true size of the boot is larger so people with small feet may have difficulty in finding the perfect fit.
Rocky Men’s 8″ Retraction 800G Hunting Boot– Extremely Comfortable
The boots are made with premium quality leather and textiles making them highly durable for any hunting season. The insulating property of these masterpieces is what sets them apart. With 800 Grams 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation, these boots offer a high degree of insulation at extremes of weather.
In terms of comfort, the boot is incorporated with an Energy bed Footed featuring memory foam that adapts to the contours of your foot maximizing comfort. The boot has a shaft of 8″ from the arch, making it ideal for a variety of hunting activities. In addition to this, the Strobel construction system adds maximum flexibility to the boot, allowing a range of movements with ultra-support.
However, the 800 grams of insulation can be bulky for some and pose a problem. The insulation makes the boot heavier and accounts for extra effort, particularly during a chase. The best way to exclude this problem is to try them on before proceeding to buy them to ensure they are not too bulky for your liking.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary Thanks to the superior insulating system and the waterproofing, these boots score high in terms of insulation. The comfortable wear also makes them one of the best hunting boots in the Market. We recommend these boots for a variety of hunting activities in both hot and cold seasons as these boots have stood the test and succeeded with flying colors.[/su_note]
- Extra dry, one of the best waterproofing system, allows for protection during wet weather. Great insulation, thanks to its 800 Grams 3M Thinsulate which offers considerable protection at 0 degrees.
- Extremely comfortable, the memory sole, nylon for arch support, and a flexible rubber outsole all contribute to the comfort of this boot.
- Small eye hooks, which makes lacing difficult and clumsy.
- Tight, the shoes are built on the smaller side and if you have wide feet, it is better if you order a size larger than your true size.
Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8″ Uninsulated Hunting Boot– Incredibly Durable
If you are looking for a pair of boots that can resist a rough hunting trip through thick and thin, the Danner Men’s Pronghorn are the best hunting boots for you. The boot features a breathable Gore-Tex Liner that allows food ventilation, accompanied with a leather toe and heel cap for a durable finish. The good looking boots have a thick rubber sole to add comfort to this stylish and durable wear.
The boots also come with rugged hardware to offer a secure fit and a more resistant, long lasting boot. The outsole is also designed for solid traction, ensuring comfortable and secure wear, ideal for a variety of hunting trips.
The minimal insulation does pose a problem in extremely cold weather. The boots are better made for the hot and wet season rather than for the winters. However, a good pair of woolen socks can offer some protection.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The Danner boots are made resistant and durable against the wet weathers. The waterproof, breathable core keeps your feet dry and the triple layer cushioning fortifies the comfort of this boot. We recommend these boots for the pursuit, as they stand well against the slick, the mud, and the rugged underbrush.[/su_note]
- Rubber sole, Adapts to rough terrain and provides support.
- Gore-Tex Waterproofing, to provide exemplary waterproofing, keeping our feet dry in all weathers.
- Notched shaft with evenly spaced eyelets and easy lacing.
- Comfortable and lightweight allowing for a variety of functions.
- The minimal insulation poses problems in extremes of cold weather.
- Wide spaced around the toes and can pose a problem for smaller feet.
Irish Setter Men’s 2875 Vaprtrek Waterproof 17″ hunting boot– Extreme Protection
These are one of the best hunting boots to buy, particularly, if you are looking for a pair of snake boots. The boots have an inherent property of adjusting to your feet after a short while. The 17″ shaft is made with full grain waterproof leather and the boot itself, is incorporated with an ultra dry, waterproofing system.
The boot is made with snake guard construction to protect against snake fangs, thorns and other dangers of the wild. They also have Armtek abrasion resistance technology to provide an additional covering over the feet.
However, the boots can be a bit stiff at the start and need breaking in. The initial stiffness wears out in most boots but can stay in others. The boots are uninsulated which can be a problem in extremely cold winters.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are created to protect against the wilderness hazards and are suitable for different hunting expeditions. They dual-density foot bed and the durable RPM sole allows the shoe to fit comfortably, providing maximum function. We recommend these boots for those who need a comfortable set of boots and protection from snake bites thorns and sharp objects in the wild.[/su_note]
- High cover, the 17″ shaft offers protection to the leg. You can easily crawl through grass and walk in bushy fields without the fear of bites.
- Comfortable, the boots are designed for long wear and accommodate to your feet as you walk.
- Sturdy, strong laces, that secure the boots to your feet. This ensures comfort and security allowing your feet to be fully protected in the wild.
- True size is wider which can pose a problem for people with smaller feet.
- Stiff built, the boot can be a bit stiff for some people and needs proper breaking in before comfortable wear.
Irish Setter Men’s 2874 Vaprtrek 8″ hunting boot– Lightweight Footwear
This boot comes with a 400g PrimaLoft Gold Eco insulation and features an ultra-dry construction with moisture management and waterproofing. The RPM technology provides exemplary insulation that cuts down on weight, providing a comfortable boot that is ideal for trekking and chasing game.
The waterproof full grain leather provides an all-round protection. In terms of comfort, these boots are one of the best hiking boots available, thanks to the wraparound instep protection, the high-rebound foot bed technically engineered to maximized comfort, and bi-directional lug pattern to increase traction. The Armtek Heal and toe increase the durability of these boots making them suitable for the rough terrains.
The boots can be a bit stiff at the start and can take a while to break in. The arch support is weak and long wear can tell on your feet. However, with time, the boot gets better and all these problems can disappear after the initial breaking in.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary One of the light weight boots that offer remarkable durability. The boot is ideal for trekking as the outsole maximizes traction and provides good support. The lightweight allows good movement. We recommend these boots for game chasing and for the regular hunting expeditions.[/su_note]
- PRM technology, which makes the boot durable and extremely lightweight at the same time.
- Armtek heel and toe, which maximizes protection and abrasion resistance to increase durability and protect the feet.
- Comfortable, with its double density foot support, the Sushin comfort tongue and wrap around arch support, the comfort of this boot is maximized.
- Laces are not placed in ideal position, which can make the boot insecure for some wearers.
- Requires considerable breaking in, and so may not be ready immediately after you buy them.
Irish Setter Men’s 2873 Vaprtrek 400 gram 8″ hunting boot– Extremely Secure
The boot is designed with maximal support at the ankle. The Irish Setter Men’s 2873 comes with an 8″ lace up Vaprtrek that has a memory foam collar which contours to your ankle and fits it perfectly. The 400 grams of insulation ensure comfortable warmth during cold weather and the Ultra Dry waterproofing system ensure dry conditions that are not too uncomfortable for the wearer.
The boots also come equipped with an Armtek heel that guards against any abrasions, protecting your feet from any external insults. The boot fits ideally to your feet and has a medium weight which is perfect for hunting and stalking and is comfortable on long days.
However, the boot is created a bit narrow and is difficult to adjust for people with wider feet. They can try for a larger size, however, the perfect fit may be difficult.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are one of the best hunting boots when it comes to comfort and durability. The Irish settlers offer a good amount of insulation and can be worn in different weathers. The medium weight is ideal for people looking for a strong foothold but not the heavy boot that lugs behind.[/su_note]
- Extremely comfortable, almost like sneakers with good arch support and traction
- Great in cold weather, the prima loft insulation works well to provide warmth even at 10 degrees.
- Ideal for long wear, the boots with their comfortable padding, arch support, Scent Ban technology and ultra-dry lining makes them ideal for long days of comfortable hunting.
- Medium weight, they are heavier than the regular light weight boots and may be trouble for some wearers.
- True fit is different from the stated size and can result in size confusions.
Lacrosse Men’s Aero head 18″ 3.5 mm Hunting Boot– Great Arch Support
This extremely good looking boot is just as functional as it is good looking. With a 17″ shaft, the shoe offers good calf protection. The boot itself is designed with Neoprene lining that adds natural waterproofing along with a rubber sole to increase traction and support. It also has an adjustable gusset at the back to adjust the shaft to the size of the calf. The boot also comes with aero foam technology for maximum flexibility and insulation. The comfort is also increased with an injected PU cushioned midsole. The boot is integrated with shanks to fortify the arch support and stability.
The boots are not designed for extremely cold weather and come with moderate insulation. If you are looking for decent insulation and great foot support, these boots are ideal.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are designed to provide maximum foot sport. The arch support, shanks, gusset and the overall built contribute to increasing the comfort of this boot. If you are looking for comfortable wear throughout the day, this is one of the best hunting boots o go for. The insole cushions your feet and gives a dry, warm feeling that is comfortable to walk in.[/su_note]
- Neoprene lining helps to keep your legs and feet cool during warm weather.
- Adjustable gusset for a customizable fit that contours to your leg.
- Difficult to put on and take off, the narrow calf makes it hard to wear these boots but once the foot is in, the boot is extremely comfortable.
- Lack of sufficient insulation, these boots are not meant to be worn in extremely cold weather.
Under Armor Men’s UA Brow Tine Hunting Boots – 800g – High Insulation
Looking for a sturdy boot for hunting in cold weather? This is the boot for you. The boot is designed with waterproof full grain leather along with abrasion resistant textile to maximize durability but still maintaining a lightweight. The Under Armor comes with 800g Primaloft insulation that is built to be light weight, water resistant and breathable.
The added Gore-Tex lining offers 100% waterproofing but still allows the sweat to escape, ensuring ultra-dry feet. The boots are lined with memory foam and a TPU shank for foot support and comfort. It is also equipped with a rubber outsole that resists mud and dirt for better ground support and easy cleaning.
The boots are created bulky, which can be expected considering the higher degree of insulation. However, the weight is still considerably less and can work for long days of hunting.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are made keeping the cold weather in mind and are the best hunting boots for cold weather. They have exceptional waterproofing and foot support coupled with a lightweight that enables you to wear these beauties without discomfort through ought the day.[/su_note]
- Adjustable speed lacing system, which makes this boot easy to put on and take off.
- Great insulation, the boots keep your feet warm in extremely cold weathers and are ideal for hunting in the winter.
- Flexible, which allows for comfortable, quiet walking sessions, ideal for stalking prey. Cons Bulky, the boots are bulky and clunky and need a while to get used to. Need thorough breaking in, the boots are made a bit narrow and require several days of breaking in, once the sole contours to your feet, the boot gets much more comfortable.
- Bulky, making them unsuitable for certain wearers.
- True fit is different from stated size, which can lead to fitting difficulties.
Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8″ 400g Hunting Boot– Most Affordable
The Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8″ is created with durable, waterproof, full grain, camo hide leather and lightweight, 1000 denier nylon. The mossy oak camo features intriguing detail with leaves, acorns, and branches over actual wood. The boot is lined with 100% waterproof Gore-Tex lining and is also equipped with a 400g Thinsulate Ultra insulation to add to the boots insulating properties.
The support is enhanced with the unique three-density open cell polyurethane ortholite foot bed. The outsole is specially created for good traction on the solid and rocky terrain. The boot also has an all leather toe and heel cap, combining comfort and durability to create a boot that stands the test of time.
The boots are a bit stiff so flexibility can be an issue. Wearers who prefer a flexible shoe will have difficulty adapting to this boot. However, once you get used to it, the stiffness actually provides support in the rough terrain.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Summary The boots are created for the rough terrain and have great insole support for long days in the field. The insulation is moderate and provides protection in cold temperatures while not being too warm in hot weathers. The boots are one of the best boots for stalking, especially on rough terrain.[/su_note]
- Requires no breaking in, the boots are extremely comfortable and fit the foot like a glove, requiring no breaking in time.
- Comfortable, the three layered foot bed and the outsole enhance the comfort of this boot.
- Stiff, the boots are built stiff and can be difficult to adapt to in the start.
- The leather has a glossy finish, which can be a down for some people.
So what makes a good hunting boot?
Well, just like any other footwear, certain qualities make the best hunting boots stand out. Out in the field, it’s less about the appearance and more about comfort. You need to have footwear that molds to your feet to get the max out of it. Here are the four factors that you should pay particular attention to when buying hunting boots.[su_note note_color=”#fefebb”]Fit– it may look simple enough, but a lot of people end up with confusions and an incorrect fit. A large share of this is due to incorrect trying techniques. People tend to try out hunting boots with regular socks, instead of the woolen type they will wear in the field. Naturally, the boots get tight and uncomfortable making them hard to wear.
Insulation– out on the field you need insulation from both heat and water. You will be out for a whole day or even longer at times. Plus, insulation levels vary on the activity intended. Sitting in a tree stand in 10 degrees requires considerably more insulation than when stalking elk because the levels of activity are different. Hence, your physical activity determines what kind of insulation you will need. You also need to consider the added weight of insulation and whether that will impede any of your hunting activities.
Waterproofing– in the wild, ensuring that your feet are dry is of utmost importance. Every kind of hunting activity has a certain amount of moisture involved. As most hunts start in the early morning, the dew laden grass can quickly soak through the unprotected leather or fabric of your boot.
Ventilation– a very important aspect of hunting footwear. You don’t want to walk around in airtight foot wear throughout the day. Hence, looking for boots that allow abundant cross ventilation for good airing of your feet is important also. One way to do this is by opting for a shorter boot, but one that is not too short as you need to protect your ankles and lower legs from intruding insect bites, and brush.[/su_note]
In hunting, the boots you wear could ultimately determine your performance, which makes a good boot all the more essential for this sport. You need to keep all of these things in mind when you go out to buy a hunting boot. Of course, certain boots have certain qualities whereas others focus on different aspects. You need to look for the best boot that gives you comfort and offers a variety of advantages.
The best hunting boots will allow you to make the best out of your time and energy, producing maximum yield. The boots given above are some of the top picks for this season that offers a variety of different characteristics to suit your hunting needs and will definitely come handy this season!